D-MAX LS-U+ – This week I’m driving a favourite of mine the Isuzu D-Max Ute. The version I have is the LSU+. This is next to the top spec X-Terrain and has many of the same features, just less visual bling, and accessories.
The LS-U+ comes with the robust and reliable 3.0L 4 cylinder turbo diesel engine with 140kW of power and a well-used 450Nm of torque from as low as 1600rpm. There is some 350Nm available from as low as 1200rpm.
This is matched to the 6 Sp automatic transmission.
Off road credentials come from the 4WD Terrain command subsystem that allows switching between 2wd and 4wd at speed up to 100kmh. 800MM of wading depth and standard rear diff locks.
Little features like leather highlighted and heated front seats, wireless Apple CarPlay connectivity and a full suite of safety features all make the D-Max appealing.
The tub comes lined with a heavy-duty plastic insert and a roll top cover. A clever and appreciated addition this year is the gas Tailgate assist for opening and closing. I have mixed feelings about the roll top cover. Its safe and convenient but does limit load capacity.
I put the D-Max to good use carting a few loads of mulch and garden sleepers for my yard.
Its an ideal all round vehicle. Enough comfort and safety features to keep owners happy. Excellent towing and 4WD capability and frugal with fuel as well.
The Isuzu D-Max LS-U+ is priced from $63,500 plus the usual costs.
This is a Motoring Minute
I’m Rob Fraser
TO LISTEN TO ISUZU D-MAX LS-U+ RADIO REVIEW CLICK BELOW
What is good?
What is not so good?
More thoughts about the Isuzu D-Max LS-U+
- Its comfortable and practical
- You jump in it and drive and it feels like home
- Packed with safety features
- Lots of clever ideas like
- bag hooks on the rear of the front seats
- slide out cup holders on front dash
- dash top storage bin
- wireless Apple CarPlay
- front seat heaters
- Configurable MFD between dials on the drivers instruments
- Not a fan of the windscreen washers in the wiper arms
- Also not a fan of the roll top on the tub. Its takes up space and has to be opened fully to close it again. Not the best when its raining.
- Like a lot of tubs, reaching the front middle section is difficult, especially with the roll top.
Some more Isuzu D-Max articles
- Isuzu D-Max X-Terrain 4WD Dual Cab Ute 2023 Review
- Isuzu D-Max and MU-X buyers update for 2023
- Isuzu 23MY D-MAX Upgrades
- 2023 Isuzu D-Max Ute gets some customer requested improvements
- Isuzu D-MAX LS-U+ Crew Cab 4WD Ute 2022 Review
- 2021 Isuzu D-MAX X-TERRAIN 4WD Dual Cab Ute 2021 Review
- Isuzu D-MAX X-TERRAIN 4WD Crew Cab 2021 Review
- Isuzu D-MAX X-TERRAIN 2021 Radio Review
- 2020 Isuzu D-MAX X-TERRAIN 4WD Dual Cab Ute 2020 Review
- Isuzu D-MAX X-TERRAIN Radio Review
- Isuzu Ute all new D-MAX X-Terrain 4WD Dual Cab
Also look at:
Dual Cab 4WD Utes are popular. There are a few on the market and everyone is aiming upmarket.
Isuzu D-Max LS-U+ final thoughts
I’ve said it many times. The D-Max is a robust, reliable and practical 4WD Ute.
The LS-U+ is perhaps the best value version. It has a few extra features for comfort without the bling of the X-Terrain. It would pay to check the drive away deals on the X-Terrain though
The D-Max will tow 3500kg with ease, go anywhere you will sensibly want to go off road and do it in comfort. All D-Max vehicles come with the tow assembly installed. All you have to do is add the hitch tongue you want.
Isuzu D-Max LS-U+ is a favourite Ute of mine.
Radio Segments Motoring Minute
Motoring Minute is heard around Australia every day on over 50 radio channels through the Torque Radio network.
Motoring Minute has an average daily audience of over 550,000 listeners. They are also syndicated through various news sites around Australia.
Additionally Motoring Minute is also broadcast as part of Overdrive Radio Program on the Community Radio Network across Australia.