Audi SQ8 – Last week I drove one of my favourite SUVs. The Audi SQ8. Big, powerful, luxurious, fast and practical is how I describe the SQ8.
Its as comfortable as any SUV and full of the little luxuries that Audi can throw in there. Its perfect for someone my size and will accommodate a small family.
The beating heart is a smooth 4.0L TFSI twin Turbo V8 petrol engine that has a crackling burble to the exhaust. I love it.
The new V8 produces 373 kW of power and 770 Nm of torque. They will run from 0 to 100 km/h in just 4.1 seconds. Top speed is governed at 250kmh.
To add to the sport credentials there is the famous Audi Quattro AWD system, a robust 8 speed Tiptronic transmission as well as dynamic all-wheel steering and adaptive sport air suspension as standard. There is a dynamic package for the pure enthusiasts.
Sometimes its hard to wrap my head around just how dynamic an almost 3000kg SUV can be. It almost defies physics.
The Audi SQ8 sits in the driveway nudging me to take it for a drive, it whispers, lets have some fun. It encourages you to pack the boot and go for a drive to Noosa and back, simply for the sheer pleasure of the drive.
Audi SQ8 is priced from $168,800 plus the usual costs and that listeners is a bargain.
This is a Motoring Minute
Im Rob Fraser
TO LISTEN TO THE AUDI SQ8 RADIO REVIEW CLICK BELOW
To read a more detailed report from the Australian launch GO HERE.
Audi SQ8 Quick thoughts
- Its big, stylish, powerful and defies physics with dynamic handling and supple ride.
- SQ8 has a muscular stance, low wide and squat.
- Unlike the Audi RSQ8 that can be a bit brutal in delivery, the SQ8 is all about finesse and linear acceleration.
- Even though the RSQ8 is faster I prefer the SQ8 to live with everyday.
- Low torque delivery allows smooth and relaxed cruising.
- On the freeway its relatively economical considering its size and potential performance
- Anything sub 5.0 seconds 0-100km/h, especially for a big SUV, is fast.
- The balance between everyday driving and ride and sports handling is excellent.
- On tight twisty roads, it’s hard to believe you are driving a near 3.0T SUV. It feels much, much smaller, and nimble.
- It sounds like marketing babble, but the SQ8 almost becomes an extension of your thoughts.
- Point and it goes. Hit the brakes it stops, plant the right foot and it takes off. As it should be.
- Of course, the interior is typically Audi, comfortable, functional, and stylish.
- I did miss the massage seats though, part of an option pack this car didn’t have.
- One excellent option is that you can choose a full-size spare and the boot floor is raised about 100mm. That’s clever and practical.
- The HD Matrix headlights are BRILLIANT (pun intended)
- It’s the little things like interior ambient lighting, power assisted door closing, gesture controlled auto rear tailgate opening and more that bring practical and functional luxury to your everyday living
Audi SQ8 Final thoughts
The word that comes to mind is AWESOME!
Stylish design combined with superb performance.
All the while the Audi interior cocoons the occupants in absolute comfort.
The SQ8 is built on the same platform as the Bentley Bentayga, Porsche Cayenne and Lamborghini Urus. Are they worth the extra money?
For me the answer is NO!
Some buyers are willing to pay 2-3 times as much for the badge or to go a second faster from 0-100km/h
Id rather have the Audi SQ8 and save the $200,000 or more and have just as much fun.
What is good?
What is not so good?
Also look at
The large AWD SUV segment is full of vehicles some good some trading on a badge.
|$168,800 PAT $191.021 MLP*
|4.0L V8 TFSI Bi Turbo Petrol Euro 6
|Quattro AWD 8Sp Tiptronic
|Battery Capacity / type
|373kW @ 5,500rpm
|770Nm @ 2,000 – 4,000rpm
|Fuel on Test
|Range (WLTP) / efficiency
|Fast Charge / Home (240V)
|5 Star ANCAP (Q8 Tested 2019)
|4.1 sec / 250km/h limited
|12 Mth / 15,000km – Capped Price service pack
|5yr/ unlimited km
|5Yr. conditional roadside assist
*MLP Includes GST and LCT but excluding statutory charges, dealer costs and dealer delivery. See your dealer for RDAP. Does not include price of options. Some features mentioned in the article are options. RDAP means Recommended Drive Away Price (without options but including all other charges)
|Behind the Wheel
|Ride and Handling
|Fit for Purpose
|Style / appeal
|Technology / connectivity
|Value for Money
|Max ground clearance
|Up to 209mm
|Turning Circle KTK
|Boot Capacity Min
|Boot capacity Max
|Tow Ball rating
Audi SQ8 Price as Tested Options
- 22″ Audi Sport alloy wheels in 5-V-spoke star design, Anthracite black $1,000
- Audi exclusive titanium black exterior styling package $1,850
- Audi exclusive individual paint $7,600
- Dynamic package – includes active roll stabilisation and quattro sport differential $10,900
- Inlays in carbon vector $1,950
- Manual steering column adjustment* -$650
- Manual luggage compartment cover* -$429
- As tested $ 191,021 MLP*
Audi SQ8 Key Highlights
- 22″ alloy wheels in 5-twin spoke V design, contrasting grey,
- Red brake callipers,
- Adaptive air suspension sport,
- Dynamic steering package – all-wheel steering,
- Audi HD Matrix LED headlights,
- Metallic paint,
- Power-assisted door closure,
- Electric tailgate including gesture control,
- S body styling with exterior mirrors in aluminium look,
- Exterior mirrors with electric fold, heating and memory function
- Ambient interior lighting package; colour,
- S sport front seats with integrated front headrests,
- Valcona leather seat upholstery with diamond patterned stitching and embossed S logo,
- Seat ventilation and heating for front seats,
- Electric front seats including electric lumbar support and memory function for both front seats,
- Sport leather steering wheel in 3-spoke design with multifunction plus, shift paddles and heating function,
- Inlays in matt brushed aluminium,
- Privacy glass; rear and rear side windows,
- 4-zone climate control air conditioning
Infotainment and connectivity technology
- MMI navigation plus with 10.1″ haptic touch screen for infotainment and 8.6″ touch / haptic screen for vehicle functions,
- Audi virtual cockpit plus with 12.3″ high resolution screen,
- Audi connect plus; Navigation & Infotainment, Security & Assistance,
- Audi smartphone interface – wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto,
- DAB+ Digital radio,
- Bang & Olufsen 3D Sound System including 17 loudspeakers and 16-channel amplifier (730 watt),
- Front and rear parking sensors with 360-degree cameras,
- Adaptive drive assist with Stop&Go,
- Audi active lane assist and side assist with exit warning,
- Rear cross-traffic assist & Intersection crossing assist,
- Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) including pedestrian and cyclist detection,
- Hill descent control and
- Audi drive select
Motoring Minute is heard around Australia every day on over 50 radio channels through the Torque Radio network.
Our Motoring Minute has an average daily audience of over 550,000 listeners and they are also syndicated through various news sites around Australia.
Additionally Motoring Minute is also broadcast as part of Overdrive Radio Program, which is broadcast through the Community Radio Network across Australia