Abarth 500e – The number of smaller electric cars at more affordable price points is slowly increasing. A few weeks ago, we chatted about the gorgeous PEUGEOT e-2008, a stylish urban based EV with SUV practicality. This week we are chatting about the Abarth 500e.
Based on the Fiat 500, the Abarth 500e comes in two models around the $60,000 mark plus the usual costs.
The hatchback styled EV comes with a 42kWh lithium Ion battery and a front mounted electric motor with around 114kW and 235Nm. This is good for a WLTP range of 252km.
Quick recharging times come courtesy of three different charging modes. At a DC fast charge station, the 500e can charge from 0-80% in just 35 minutes.
Abarth 500 is known for its sporty exhaust note and the 500e has replicated that through a newly developed sound generator.
Given that many studies show that often the daily distance covered is less than 50km, then the 150km range may not present an issue for urban drivers.
In fact EVs like the Abarth and the PEUGEOT e-2008 may be almost perfect choices for buyers that have predominantly localised driving habits.
The Abarth 500e is due to arrive later this year
This is a Motoring Minute
I’m Rob Fraser
TO LISTEN TO THE ABARTH 500e RADIO REVIEW CLICK BELOW
More Abarth 500e details
- Abarth 500e limited edition Scorpionissima priced at $60,500 (plus on-roads) and available late this year
- Abarth 500e Turismo trim priced at $58,900 plus on-roads
- Abarth enters a new electrified era, offering the Abarth 500e, the most responsive and exciting Abarth 500 ever
- Launching with 219 limited edition Scorpionissima units followed by the Turismo trim, both exclusively offered in the hatchback body style
- The Abarth retains its iconic “roar”, thanks to the newly developed Sound Generator, which reproduces the legendary sound of the Abarth engine
- The Abarth is equipped with a front-mounted electric motor outputting 113.7kW. It has a peak torque output of 235Nm, enough to push the 500e from 0-100km/h in 7.0 seconds
- The Abarth supports three different charging modes and is equipped with a CCS COMBO Type 2 socket that enables both domestic and public AC charging, and public DC fast charging at a maximum rate of 85kW. At a DC fast charging station it is possible to charge 0-80% in 35 minutes
- Available in five colours: Acid Green, Poison Blue, Antidote White, Venom Black and Adrenaline Red
Radio Segments Motoring Minute
Motoring Minute is heard around Australia every day on over 50 radio channels through the Torque Radio network.
Motoring Minute has an average daily audience of over 550,000 listeners. They are also syndicated through various news sites around Australia.
Motoring Minute is also part of the Overdrive Radio Program. This can be found weekly on the Community Radio Network across Australia.